Friday, September 4, 2009

Jumble of thoughts

I once heard this quote from Mahatma Gandhi:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

I think about this quote a lot, and I seem to alternate between two feelings regarding it.

1. I totally agree with him - I myself so often do not like Christians, even though I am one. I find myself musing and obsessing over things I hear from them, attitudes of self-righteousness, arrogance, and intolerance. Then I just feel confused.

On the other hand:

2. I AM one of those Christians. Many times. I am sad to say and wish it were not true.

And then it brings me back to the point.
We are all in need of Christ.
Christians often act like we have something others don't have.
But the only thing we really have is a heightened knowledge of our own shortcomings and thus a quickness to turn to Christ in reliance on Him for hope and forgiveness.

I pray I will more readily see this clearly!

"Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all."
Colossians 3:11

1 comment:

The Bennett Family said...

Thanks for the sobering thoughts. All things I struggle with as well.