Monday, November 18, 2013

Gray at 2 1/2

Gray is officially 2 1/2 today! I wanted to write some things down about his at this age so I can remember.


The first thing that comes to mind is that he is such a blessing to me and Matt every single day. Every day he brings so much love and joy to our hearts! So many people know him or even sometimes people who have just met him comment on his sweet disposition and easy going temperament. His music teacher at school asked me if he every disobeys (yes, of course) and his main teacher said she has to refrain from kissing on him because he is so sweet and affectionate. :) I love this about him so much. I love that he loves to give hugs and kisses and snuggle and randomly say: "mommy? I wuv you." It truly does melt my heart. I know this stage will probably not last, so I am soaking it up as much as I can.

He speech has really taken off recently! He is becoming so verbal, and it is fun to look at videos of just even a few months back and see how much he has changed. As an SLP I know that boys develop verbally later than girls, but it has been fascinating to see how true that is by watching my own children. He is still using a lot of phonological processes, though, so he is not always understood. "Mommy, tan i have a tootie?" "mommy, wut! a fider!" (mommy, look, a spider!). etc. We think his speech is pretty cute though, and if I can't make out what he is saying, Saylor almost always can interpret. :)  It seems like most of his errors are still age appropriate and he will be fine...he has definitely made a lot of progress.

Gray does have his difficult moments, don't get me wrong! He can do some damage on his older sister. The other day at jump street some mom came to get my attention because he had bitten her! Yikes. He is definitely learning to test/push/cross the limits and recently when I  put him in time out he stuck his tongue out at me. Ha! I had to stop myself from laughing. He can throw a tantrum with the best of them (usually related to being told no to TV or the ipad). But in general, at least so far, he is pretty easy to discipline and re-direct. (MUCH easier than a certain other someone used to be). :)

I have had Tuesdays alone with him this Fall while Saylor is at  pre k and have enjoyed it so much. He comes with me to bible study and then we eat lunch and play together. I am struck every week at how much Gray talks when sister is not around. It is pretty much non-stop!

He is a good sleeper for the most part. He is SO easy to put to bed, which is a blessing. He has been waking up usually between 6:30 and 7 and coming down to our room lately. He recently has had the beginning of some night terrors or night mares, but most of the time he sleeps soundly throughout the night. He naps for a couple hours a few times during the week, when we are home and he is very tired. Many days he is on nap strike, which is ok with me because we just put them both to bed early then.

Things Gray loves: his sister! Doing everything she does and copying everything she says! His daddy. He is less of only a mama's boy these days which is nice. He loves milk. He loves TV and the ipad. (Like, it could become a problem...he will sneak the ipad out of my purse and go into a different room to play it). He LOVES his lovie and striped blankey. He likes going to school, playing outside, coloring, playing with his trains, blocks, etc. He really loves all characters, like anything he would recognize from a TV show, but especially Thomas and Toy Story. He likes balls and running and jumping, but he is not the most coordinated just yet. He will get there though. :)

He is a decent eater, but kind of unpredictable. He will usually eat one or two good meals a day and nothing at the other. But I never know which one that is going to be. He doesn't like peanut butter or sandwiches. He eats around things (like eats the top of a cupcake, or  the flesh of an apple but not the skin). He definitely has some sensory things going on with this.

His imagination is growing and growing! On our way to the park yesterday he insisted there would be  pirates when we arrived. :) I think he had a nightmare recently about a lion or tiger (he refers to it as an arrrrrh)? We pray before he goes to sleep that he would have GOOD dreams and that God would protect his mind, and now, in the morning, he often celebrates when he "didn't see the arrrrh." ????? He knows a lot of his letters and numbers, and if I ask him what a certain word starts with he can usually point out the right letter.

He is showing a lot of interest in the potty and we are planning to officially potty train right after Thanksgiving.

Gray, we love you so much! Thank you for all the love you bring to us every day! I am so blessed I get to be  your mommy!





No comments: