Tonight after dinner I was laying on the couch trying to see/feel the baby move. Not too much was happening at the moment, so Matt came over and started "talking to her" to see if she would respond to his voice. I think he was actually just trying to be funny. Here's a snippet of the conversation that ensued:
Matt: "Hey Baby, how are you tonight? Did you like your mom's dinner selection? You know, we really can't wait for you to get here. To meet you and to see what you look like. The baby updates we get say that right now you are 14 inches long. That's important for you to understand - one day you will probably be about 5 feet 8 inches long...but right now you are one foot two inches. Well, you have two feet, but...it's kind of hard to explain to a baby like you. I'll try again once you get here. Actually, it gets even more complicated because there's also a whole metric system and that can get really confusing. But I'll help you learn your measurements, don't worry. When you do get here you'll get to meet your brothers, Harry and Morty. They are bigger than you...especially Harry. I bet you'll like him, but you'll have to be careful around him because he is big and excitable and clumsy. If you're wondering what he looks like - he is brown and furry and has a long snout. He kind of looks like Alf. But you don't know who Alf is - that was way before your time. I'll make a note to myself to have something prepared for when you get here to help you learn about both Alf and the metric system. I also have another surprise for you when you get here...I've been saving you some Wall Street Journals. Your mom tried to throw them out when I wasn't looking, but I caught her and salvaged them. So if you are interested in the business happenings from early 2008, I've got all that news for you."
Throughout this monologue I am laughing at what a NERD hubby is, though I do love him very much. I think my laughing just eggs him further along...

3 comments:
Let the record show the baby starting kicking when I started my schtick...at least one Smith girl appreciates my humor.
Oh my gosh I just had this mental pictures of a very adorable baby with matt's color hair sitting in Matt's lap very solemnly and looking over spreadsheets and documents Matt had prepared for her to understand the metric system. I CAN'T WAIT FOR HER TO GET HERE!!
What a hilarious story! I love that he told the baby about Alf. And isn't it nice to know why he's saving all of those wall street journals?!?!?! I bet it was a relief to know they're for the baby!
Post a Comment