Monday, September 15, 2008

When the weather changes

There is something about waking up to a cool morning after many many mornings of only heat and humidity that is SO REFRESHING. It's funny how I make this observation every year when the Texas season finally changes. Every time, I feel so invigorated, grateful, and inspired. It feels like a little present from God that satisfies the soul only as He can. After soaking it in for a few minutes, my next thought is usually how nice it would be to be able to live in Colorado, or somewhere that has MORE of these days. But then I am reminded that I have spent many month or week long stretches in Colorado, and while I do experience that refreshment for a few days when I first arrive, I eventually start to adjust. I get used to it. I expect it. It is no longer a pleasant surprise as much as...just what it is. And then that gratefulness begins to wear off, and then soon it's just the norm.

Reminds me of my relationship with God. How He does these amazing things for me - big things that only He can do. Bringing change that only He can bring. And at first I am OVERWHELMED with joy, and gratefulness, and inspiration. And I think to myself "things will never be the same" or "i will never take this situation for granted again." But of course, over time, I get used to it. And then I expect it. It is the norm. Him giving me good things is just...what it is. I subconsciously begin to think I am entitled to these good things. And then something bad or hard happens and I wonder "why can't You just give me this one thing, Lord?" But how my silly self has forgotten that he HAS given to me over and over and over again. Jesus. My family. My marriage. My health. My job. Our house. My heart beating, my lungs breathing, my legs moving, and my lips talking and communicating. Coffee. A bed. Hot water. Even these are things I don't deserve, yet He loves me and gives them to me.

I hope and pray that over time, I will be able to stay longer in the period of gratefulness. Inspiration. Refreshment. And that when the next hard thing comes (which it always will) I will pause to remember how much He has taken care of me thus far. And He will continue to do so.

Like in 5 days when I'm sure the Texas weather will be back to 95 (as this is just a pleasant side effect of Hurricane Ike). May I remember then these few cool days we've had and look forward to October when the season really does change. Without grumbling about the heat in the meantime. :)

No comments: