Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Top ten rules for giving me a bottle (compliments of Saylor)

Some of you know that our current "challenge" with Saylor is that she really doesn't like taking a bottle. At all. Yes, we introduced it at 3 weeks like they told us, and yes, she took it perfectly for about a month. Then suddenly it was as if we were absolutely torturing her to get her to eat from it, and it has pretty much been a nightly battle ever since. Though breastfeeding is going great, it is important to us that she DOES figure this out so that I can go back to work a little bit and have a night out here and there. So, every night we keep trying.

Along our journey we have learned a few tricks. If you do ALL of these things and the stars line up just right, you may be in luck.

So here you have it - the top ten rules for giving Saylor a bottle...from her POV of course.

1. I will not take a bottle from mom. Period. Don't even try it.
2. I will only drink from the Adiri "breast" bottle. None of the other fourteen kinds you have tried are to my liking.
3. My milk must be heated to the perfect temperature. Not too hot or too cold.
4. Do not sit down while you are feeding me. Duh.
5. Do not stop walking around as you are feeding me. I know I am about 13 lbs. and getting heavy, but I really don't care about that.
6. At the beginning of the feeding, I need to be at 45 degree angle to the ground. Once we near the end of the feeding, it is ok if you lower me so I am slightly more parallel, but not until the end.
7. Once I finally do start to eat, DO NOT stop for anything (to burp me, scratch your nose, or put out a fire) or I will not start again.
8. Don't expect me to be timely about this. I like to take my time, play with the nipple, and chill out for a few minutes. I don't care if you have other things to do.
9. It helps if mom plays Beethoven loudly on the piano while you feed me.
10. Don't get too comfortable with this - just when you think I've got it down I'll refuse you again!

And there you have it...our daughter is high maintenance! Well, really she is not at all except for this one issue...I mean, the kid has got this sleeping thing down, which we are VERY thankful for. Guess making light of this helps me maintain my sanity.

Anyone want to come babysit?

6 comments:

Lindsay Stedford said...

We will babysit anytime!!! :)

Anonymous said...

ok, so that is really funny. and probably true. Beethoven though, really? I wish I could babysit!

Thanks for the comment... I think alot of people struggle with this... I am just really struggling with it right now. Thanks for the encouragement.

Corby and Lauren said...

Hilarious... I think we're both dealing with little divas. We're going to be in trouble when they're old enough to work together!!

The Pratt's said...

Add us to the babysitter list!

Erin said...

hi! i'm a friend of lc. we just experienced this very thing with our 4 month old. it took several weeks to get over the hump...actually I don't think we're over it yet, but close. I completely feel your pain and can relate to your 10 rules! only advice is don't give up and follow that precious girl's rules...love her name by the way!

ellie621 said...

Hilarious!! Sorry yall are having a rough time with this. Claire definitely doesn't prefer the bottle and takes her sweet time... but we've found if we wait til she's hungry enough, she'll take it. Good luck!
You look great! and Saylor's such a cutie! Can you believe they are 3 months old?!!
Love, Ellie