We're learning (the hard way) how tough it's going to be to get rid of this darn swaddle blanket. With her swaddle, Saylor has been sleeping like a champ, even during naps. She looks so peaceful and cozy, cacooned in her little straight jacket with only her face and head sticking out, often with a blissful little smile on her face. How hard could it be to sleep without that thing? Apparently it's HARD. She acts like I am laying her in a bed of ice with an empty stomach. All the soothing, bathing, lotioning, bed-time reading, etc. to prepare for the big event does NOTHING to ease her woes. She just lies in the crib, with all four appendages flailing about like an over-turned roly poly. Her new thing is trying to get her feet into her mouth, but even this trick only amuses her for so long before she realizes she is alone, in her crib, WITHOUT HER SWADDLE. So she cries and cries and cries some more. We tried all day yesterday. Then we tried last night. After missing one whole nap and keeping us up until 2 a.m. we gave in and wrapped her up. And guess what, she went right to sleep. Oh, how I'm going to have to get more resolve if I'm going to be good at this parenting thing. But it's so hard...her face is red and her eyes are swollen and puffy from all that crying! How do you not give in and just swaddle the little thing?
I was hoping we could avoid this by just letting her sleep on her tummy (to avoid the appendage flailing). But, now when I put her on her tummy she just immediately flips onto her back, so we are right back where we started. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Right now she is actually (amazingly!) napping with one arm out. I tried this yesterday and it didn't work...so maybe there is hope. Maybe we can "wean" it since ripping it off like bandaid doesn't seem to be working. I'm starting to wish we'd never even used this thing. If anyone has advice or experience with this issue, I can obviously use it! :)

4 comments:
I wish I had some good advice for you. When I'm a mom I'll be terrible about changing any schedule for fear I'll lose sleep! Hang in there, Erica! You're doing great!
You could try putting her in a Halo sleep sack..so that way her little legs are still encased in a blanket but her arms are free... or you could just swaddle with arms-free for a while... We stopped with Claire a few months ago and used the sleep sack.
Good luck! We need to visit soon!
Haha, I'm sorry to say this post made me laugh. Girl, you know I was right where you are a few months ago. I've heard that weaning works well (one limb out at a time) but cold-turkey and crying it out worked best for Caroline (although we had a really tough 3 days, after that it was all over). And don't worry that she rolls from tummy to back. Keep putting her on her tummy and she'll figure it out. Or she'll end up rolling from her back to tummy and will stay put. Let's go walking soon :-) Oh and call me if you want to complain about weaning the swaddle...I'm your girl!!
I haven't checked blogs in a while but this one took me back. Ben was swaddled for six months! It seemed like forever... she will eventually figure it out. If she is miserable... I would give in too. Miss you.
Post a Comment