Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lesson I (re)learned today

I went to the eye doctor today for an annual check up (although I hadn't been in three years, so it wasn't exactly annual). For a 15 minute period while she was waiting for my eyes to dilate, I experienced a glimpse of what life would be like without sight. You see, my prescription is not good...not good at all. Let's just say that without my contacts I cannot even see the enormous black "E" at the top of the page. Poor Matt's eyes are even worse than mine. (And poor Saylor is probably doomed)! We've talked before about how lucky we are to be born in the "age of corrective lenses". I bet if we had been born in biblical times we would be the "blind men" they refer to sitting on the side of the road...

Anyways, in that 15 minutes time span with no contacts, the following things occurred:
-I moved exam rooms twice, pushing Saylor in her stroller and carrying my enormous diaper bag, accidentally bumping into something twice and holding onto the walls to keep from falling
-I had a conversation with the billing lady and paid for my visit, including signing my name. Couldn't make eye contact with her cause I couldn't see her. Had to bend all the way down to the desk to see what I was writing.
-I entertained Saylor and tried to feed her bits of her lunch to keep her happy, the whole time moving my head within inches of hers to see if she was actually getting the food into her mouth
-Saylor started waving and (I think) smiling like crazy at one point. At first I thought it was at me, so I smiled and waved back. Then I realized it was at another patient also waiting who I think was maybe making funny faces at her?
-I tried to initiate some small talk with the Doctor (she is not very talkative/friendly), only to have her politely say "um-hmm" and not really respond other than that.

The point of this story is 1) how ridiculous I felt the whole time and probably looked the whole time (though I know they are obviously used to it) and 2) (and more importantly), how much respect I have for blind people and people with physical hardships in general. Having one of my senses removed from me made me feel so incredibly vulnerable. I couldn't properly take care of myself or my child. I couldn't see or gauge people's reactions to me or anything around me. I was several seconds behind with everything happening around me. It was such a strange feeling and I was immensely relieved to have my contacts back in and my world "restored" to what I perceive it to be.

Obviously, I knew the whole time that the experience wouldn't last long. But, my heart goes out to those whose lives are turned upside down in some way. My patients who've been in major traumas and their families are the first who come to mind. But, also those in all of our lives who are dealing with death, or illness, or loss of work, or something that just pulls the rug out from under you like that.

All this to say, it points me back to this:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.
Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. Colossians 1


Praise Christ that HE is stable when what we know is not, that HE holds ALL things together, that HE is Creator and Sustainer of life, even when life is not what we've always known it to be and even in life beyond this life, for those who hope in Him!

1 comment:

Mary Virginia said...

This made me cry. How often do I go about my daily life, complaining about (such stupid) things that happen or don't, never thinking someone might not even be able to do them! What a glimpse God gave you today - that He would humble you to see what its like to see nothing but Him.

And, seriously? Next time you better let me babysit! ;)