Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Big Girl Bed

So I am over a month behind on this post, but I want to be able to look back one day and remember Saylor's big move from her crib to her big girl bed...woohoo!

We made the move around the end of January, so she was just over 2. We first tried to move her to the single twin bed that is in the room with her crib. This didn't work too well, I think because the crib was right there and she was confused. So, we took a couple weeks off (back to the crib) and then just jumped straight to the big girl bed, next door in the guest room (what is now Saylor's room). We made a big deal about her "new room" and made the bed cozy for her with lots of stuffed animals and toys. She did so great! I must admit, I did not give the girl near enough credit. I was dreading this move and was just sure that she would be waking up at 5 am every morning, getting out of bed, and coming to our room. OR that she would never nap again. But she has done great! We did have one day after about the first week where she figured out how to get down by herself at naptime and did this repeatedly, coming out into the hallway. I tried the whole "put her back into bed and ignore her so she gets the message that it's naptime" approach, which didn't work. So, I just decided to nip that in the bud real fast and gave her a real consequence (spanking) and she has not done it again once since that day. She definitely understands that she needs to wait for us to come get her to get out of bed. She now wakes up around 7 am (usually) and just hangs out in her bed, reading a book or playing with a toy or talking until we go in and get her. Same thing at nap time. I actually think there is less drama with sleeping and crying than there was in the crib (excluding the one week of terrible tantrums that I blogged about recently).

She is so cute and small in her gigantic bed (we didn't want to get rid of our nice queen sized guest bed, so we're just using it for her for the time being). She likes to keep it full of toys and books, but I don't mind because she usually just plays or reads quietly for a few minutes before she falls asleep. She is also not a fan of being under the covers...and many times she'll fall asleep sideways or with her head facing the end of the bed and feet on the pillow. But hey, whatever works, right?

Way to go, Saylor, on making this big transition! I can't believe how big you are getting to be! We are so proud of you!


1 comment:

Mary Virginia said...

I feel like we're going to blink and she'll be a tween! ;) You did a great job making her big girl room special for her!