Monday, January 12, 2009

First week of life!



It's crazy how busy the first week with a new baby is! Wait, maybe that is every week with a baby and I just didn't get that until I had one????!!! :) We are slowly starting to settle into a routine and figure out what exactly what we are supposed to do with sweet little Saylor. My mom was here all week and was SO MUCH support - I could not have made it without her and cried when she left. Thank you mom! Luckily, Matt is able to work from home most of this week which is great.

After four visits to the pediatrician in five days, Saylor is finally in the clear with her billirubin levels. She is turning from her yellowy jaundice color to cute baby pink color. :) And as of today she is back to her birth weight, which they tell us is great for the one week mark. She is eating and pooping like a champ, though she and I are both still getting the swing of this breastfeeding thing!

One thing we would ask for your prayers for. The day after she was born, the pediatrician noticed a slight heart murmur, which still hasn't gone away. They all seem pretty unconcerned due to the fact that she is cardiovascularly strong and obviously healthy and gaining weight. They tell us that many babies have this and that sometimes there is a tiny hole between chambers which takes a little while to grow fully closed. They have advised us that we will just need to monitor it for now, and perhaps see a pediatric cardiologist if it is still present at her two month check up. I think this sounds more scary than it actually is, but we are praying and hoping that it goes away on it's own quickly!

Matt and I are still grappling to process this entire experience. Saylor is officially one week old as I type this post, and it is amazing to think how significantly she has impacted us in that short time. It is so much bigger than I can even begin to describe. Everything, from the labor, to her birth, to getting to know her funny faces and daily routine and the feel of her skin and smell of her hair is so profoundly deep and meaningful, and clearly pointing us deeper into the fullness of life that the Lord intends for us to have. I can't really get my brain around it.

Anyways, before I get too deep or cheesy, here are some of my favorite pics from the first week!









3 comments:

Mary Virginia said...

What a precious mama you already are! It is so fun to see you transitioning so naturally into this next season of life! I can't wait to get to know baby Saylor better! Love you, mare

lc said...

that baby is cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute.

Anonymous said...

so cute... thanks for keeping us posted... I have been thinking about you guys... in your nest of new babydom... it is a surreal time... which flies by!