Thursday, January 1, 2009

This week in wrap up...

Well, we are still waiting for this baby girl to make her arrival. I have learned the hard way that it doesn't matter how much or early a woman's body "progresses" towards labor - the baby doesn't come out until she is ready! We are set to induce on Monday morning, which we really didn't think it would come to and perhaps still won't. But, if it does we are ready, willing, and unbelieveably excited to finally meet her. I can't really wrap my mind around it - we really will be able to hold her and touch her in less than five days! We continue to trust God's plan and pray for a healthy baby and safe delivery!

Other things I have learned this week (or re-learned, as most of them are not new discoverings):

1. NONE of the things you are supposed to do to get labor started really work. (At least for me).

2. Braxton Hicks contractions are such a tease...

3. You can sleep fairly well in a sitting-up position as long as you have at least 5 pillows to prop you up.

4. When you can't sleep, it is better to get up and do something (read, pray, work on a jig-saw puzzle) than lay there and let your mind wander.

5. (Getting more serious here...). My natural tendency to try to control things can still rear it's head in ugly ways. And then when I realize things are out of my control, I just decide to worry instead, as if that will do something. It is really quite miserable. And funny how terrible I am about trying to change this tendency myself. Clearly something I continually have to submit, confess and ask for the Lord's help and grace to change. I am so thankful that "He who began a good work in me will carry it through to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Phil. 1:6).

6. I have extremely patient family and friends who have loved me and encouraged me through the waiting, despite my occasional emotional outbursts and irrational tirades.

7. My husband may truly be the world's greatest husband. He has an uncanny way of making me laugh when I need to lighten up. And just when I am sure he is fed up with me, he shows me his love again in another self-less, tangible way.

8. Patience and perseverance are things that must be prayed for on a daily basis, not a one time deal.

9. I have some of the greatest co-workers a girl could ask for. Of course I already knew this, but I was reminded yesterday on my last day of work at Baylor (at least for awhile). My team gave me a going away card and everyone signed up to bring us a meal each Tuesday through February. People are so generous and kind - and these gestures are so touching! I look back on the journey it took for me to get to Baylor on the TBI team (starting at Q Investments!) and can so clearly see God's blessing and providence in bringing me to this place. It was a very bittersweet day...

3 comments:

Davy said...

so glad you can reflect on these things when you are going through such a transformation. God will bring that miracle soon... very soon. Love you and good luck with everything. It is such a blessing to have a baby... you will see.

ellie621 said...

praying for you!! you are going to be the most amazing mom, God is just giving you a few extra days to prepare :) praying for an amazing birth experience and a healthy little Saylor...can't wait to hear the news! hang in there Erica! love ya!

Laura said...

You've been in my thoughts SO much. We are praying for you over here in the Krauss house! As you know, you and I are similar in that whole control/anxiety issue but just remember what you already know. God is the one in control and you get to sit back and enjoy this ride while He protects you and blesses you in a way that you won't believe. We cannot wait to meet precious Saylor and Caroline is excited to have a new friend (esp. a new little girl friend since she doesn't have too many of those :-) Let us know when we can come visit you guys!!!