I've been feeling a bit more worried than usually about Harry lately. As I mentioned in a previous post, he had a big seizure in Houston while my parents were keeping him for us a couple weeks ago. It's a problem that he is having "breakthrough" seizures, because we've been trying to switch him from one medication to another (to avoid the feeding freenzies), but apparently his seizures are getting more frequent and more intense.
While we were gone again this past weekend, our vet had us put him on both medications temporarily. Not the first time we've had to do this, but between his 2 anti-seizure meds and his anti-depressant, he is just so drugged up right now! Poor thing is tired and lethargic. He lays in the same spot for much of the day, sleeping. And he is super uncoordinated! He trips over himself or anything random lying on the floor. He has fallen down trying to jump into my car and even going up and down the curb outside! And when he tries to get up from lying down, half the time his hind legs just give out of him and he falls back down and gives up.
I hate seeing him like this! Luckily we are now trying to slowly wean off some of the meds, but I know he will have to be on a high dose of something for the rest of his life.
Don't get me wrong, this dog can be a huge pain in my rear:
- He steals all our food
- He wants as much attention as we give Saylor
- He has become less and less well mannered since we don't spend nearly the time training him we used to
- He costs us a ridiculous, makes-my-blood-pressure-increase amount of money each month for his meds, not to mention periodic blood work and paying to fix occasional mistake he's made in the house
- He is so OCD it's hard for anyone else to keep him for us if we need to go out of town (e.g. he won't pee in the back yard, only the front, off a leash)
- I could literally vacuum and mop our floors once daily and they still would have his drool and dog hair everywhere
- He can clear a room with his gas (which naturally happens mainly when guests are over because he is nervous)
- He is never aggresive towards Saylor, and he does love her in his own way (he has to be the first one in her room each morning to greet her, he lays outside her door at night to protect her)
- He is a great running partner (or used to be) :(
- He makes us laugh at least once every day
- He is very, very sweet natured
- He will just sit in the front yard with us while we play outside, off a leash, and not run away
- He is handy to have around when feeding a toddler
- Hardly any of the above issues are his fault and are only side effects of the meds
- He is my first dog, and what they say about dogs is true: he is loyal, he loves us unconditionally, he is man's best friend (or we are his best friends at least) :)
- He really is a part of our family and I hate to see him suffering. Even more I hate to think about having to let him go one day.
- I can't imagine what his life would be like if he was still living in his pre-rescue home.
Here's where you can find him at least 3 times each day! :)
Good ole' Harry Bone. Hope you are feeling better soon!

3 comments:
This makes me so sad for him (and you guys)! I never thought I would love a dog like I do Samson and I know you feel the exact same way about Harry. They really are part of the fam.
Love you guys.
Poor Harry... and I feel for y'all too! I hope he can start to feeling better soon and get back to his old tricks :)
I love har-bone so much... He has so much personality, sometimes it feels like he is more human than dog! And he hardly ever barks. and He doesn't jump up on you. He is like a gentle (nervous) giant :) He is so lucky you guys found him
Post a Comment