I recently had a conversation with my friend, Erin, about blogs. She made the comment that so often blogs portray the happy, fun, "pretty" parts of people's lives. But so often, there is more going on that for whatever reason, just doesn't get broadcasted on the blog.
She is totally right.
So on that note, things were not so pretty around our house last week.
Apparently we are smack in the midst of the terrible two's, and Saylor is fine - tuning the art of the temper tantrum.
They happened ALL week long. There was a pattern: every time a transition was involved, like leaving the park, leaving the library, and worst of all and especially, any time she had to go to bed. Naptime AND bedtime. It even frazzled Matt's nerves.
We were actually kicked out of the library for making too much noise. Yes, the librarian came over and asked us to leave. I had to put down my entire stack of books, chase my daughter into a corner, pick her up against my huge pregnant belly, and carry her out, literally kicking and screaming while everyone stared at us.
It was so exhausting. And embarrassing. And beyond frustrating.
When you talk to other parents about tantrums or read about them, the advice people give is to "just ignore it." Which is fine, in theory. But how do you do that in public? Or when there is a busy street right next to you? Or when you know the reason they are doing it is because they are over-tired but they refuse to sleep? PLEASE someone give me a manual for this parenting gig!
At one point while trying to leave the park Matt and I just walked away from her lying on the ground tantruming. Did she get up and follow? Nope. Just laid there. We walked all the way to the car and stood there not looking at but she just laid there until we eventually had to go back and get her, at which point she started up again.
The worst part is, I knew that half of the reason this was happening was because she was over tired. She's been waking up at 6 a.m., which is an hour earlier than her normal. Consequently, she can't make it until her normal nap at 1. So we did a lot of adjusting, but I just couldn't seem to ever get it right. About half way through the week I stuck my fingers in her mouth and sure enough, she was getting those eye teeth in on both sides on top. So maybe that was part of it? Or maybe she is sensing the upcoming enormous change with baby brother on his way? Maybe God is trying to remind me/prepare me for what it's like to have an infant and have to work really hard to get them to sleep?
Or maybe she's just TWO.
Whatever it is, I had two breakdown crying moments last week (during which she came over and kissed me and then ran off laughing hysterically and saying "you're welcome mommy!)"
Thankfully, this week has been much better so far, at least as far as sleep goes. We are still working on the other transitions. It seems that no matter the number of "2 minute till we leave" warnings, consequences for "sad choices" or, in my weaker moments, straight up bribes I give her, the girl can set her mind on something with the best of them.
But I know we'll get through it and like every phase they go through, this too shall pass.
But just in case you were wondering, things are definitely not always so pretty around here. :)

4 comments:
We're right there with you! If you figure anything out, pass that wisdom along please!!!
Erica,
Don't worry, its not always pretty here also. Thanks for being honest. And don't worry too much about the methods you use... we all do what works! She knows you love her... and that unconditional love is most important. It will all work out.
You are such a good Mommy!! I always knew you would be :) I have little experience on being a Mom, so I wish I could give you some words of wisdom. But, I know that you and Matt will figure it out and do whats best for everyone!
Love you friend!!
Two was hard for my daughter, but honestly three was more trying! At least with her. But they are all different! Who knows with my son what will be challenging as he just turned 12 months. I think it's true that most blogs including mine only go so deep. Isn't that true with most relationships though too their are very few people that I am completely raw with. And honestly I don't want my kids to look back on all the disaggreements or misunderstandings anyway. Have a great weekend!
Post a Comment