Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Books

In the past couple years, Matt and I have scaled way back on our TV watching. We definitely still have our weekly favorites (The Office, Community, Friday Night Lights, 30 Rock) that we faithfully Tivo. Although at times I miss my mindless TV, I must admit that I love that we've had more time together, more time to get things done, and more time for other things we enjoy...like....READING!

I have gotten back into this hobby and I love it. There are so many good books out there! I even joined a book club, which signifies I must be an avid reader. (kidding, I am far from it). Here's a list of what I've read (or re-read) recently and some thoughts:

Unveiled by Francine Rivers (Good book. I'm not really a Redeeming Love fan but I LOVE the Mark of the Lion series by this lady. This one falls somewhere in between).

Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons by Lorna Landvik (kinda fun to see life from perspective of house wive several decades ago)

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (I didn't finish it...i couldn't quite get into the sci-fi aspect)

An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (I remembered liking this in highschool but I guess I have changed. Ugh. I pushed ALL the way through and was so disappointed in the end).

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (really good, fast, easy to read. I was dying to figure out the mystery...lots of shocking moments)

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (fun to re-live it..I bawled when sweet Beth died).

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (true story about a girl's unusual parents and her upbringing...a really fast, easy read because you couldn't believe any of this stuff actually happened).

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Oh my goodness - this was FABULOUS! It doesn't matter who you are, you'll enjoy this book)!


Up next on the dockett:
Three Cups of Tea
Parting the Waters
Water for Elephants

For some reason I haven't delved into Jodi Picoult yet...though everyone seems to love her.

Any other suggestions?

3 comments:

Jules said...

I too loved Unveiled! Soo good!! Ryan got a Kindle for Christmas and it has hooked me back in to my reading obsession! I am reading The Help right now and can't seem to put it down :)

The Dallases said...

I agree Help was great! I'm reading East of Eden right now and LOVE it. I also loved Lonesome Dove and Stepping Heavenward...if you haven't already read those.

Davy said...

Hey Erica, I miss seeing you. I would love to be in a book club with you. I am actually in a book club also... its a great excuse to read. I really love short stories and have read a couple of compilations that I have loved. One of them is NEVER IN A HURRY and NOTHING RIGHT. A couple of other heartbreaking but beautifully written books are THE MEMORY KEEPERS DAUGHTER and MY SISTER'S KEEPER. I am about to read a couple of new books... we will see how they are. PS. I read the Glass CAstle and am going to start the Help soon. We should do some sort of exchange...
Love you! ellen