Monday, January 4, 2010

She's ONE!!!!!

Tomorrow is the big day...Saylor is turning ONE!

I can't believe it's really here.

This year has gone by so fast...it's hard to even remember what life was like before this little girl showed up into our lives.



This weekend was very special. We had a small baby dedication ceremony for Saylor, as well as her birthday party! After a lot of thought and prayer, Matt and I made the decision not to have Saylor baptized as an infant, but instead let her make that choice when she is old enough to understand more about who Christ is and come to her own faith in Him. We wanted to do something now, though, to signify our committment to raise her according to Christ's teachings and to acknowledge our need for help to do this from our family, friends, church, and ultimately the Lord. We were thankful for a chance to read through some scripture and for words of blessing from some of those who love her most to be prayed over her. :)

As her birthday has approached I must admit I've felt pretty nostalgic. Most of all, I just keep getting hit with these huge, overwhelming waves of thankfulness.

Here is part of a letter I wrote to Saylor for her dedication. I know this post is long...so feel free to stop reading at any point, if you haven't already. :) I'll post more pictures from her party later...fun times!

Dear Saylor,

It’s hard to believe you are almost one year old. It seems that every parental cliché that used to seem so trite is now passing repeatedly through my mind with intense emotion. Time does go by so fast. I do want to cherish every moment. And you really have grown so quickly. And the list goes on.

More than any of these though, I resonate most with the millions of parents who proclaim an overwhelming and profound joy once they have children. It’s true. You do bring us joy – in a way we have not experienced before. Being your parent is sort of an out of body experience for me. From pregnancy to birth to watching this little bundle become a real person over the past year…it seems like a dream. Not that it’s all been rosy – I’m not going to pretend I enjoyed the 3 a.m. projectile poops. But still, when I look big picture at the love a parent has for their child, it’s clearly a gift from God, a small piece of something Divine. I am so thankful to be counted worthy of this gift, and am overwhelmed to think it is only a picture of how our Heavenly Father loves us.

We have many hopes for you and we wait with eager anticipation to see the person that you become. As your parents, we know we have a big job. It’s our role to love and cherish you. To teach you, to nurture you. To protect you from sickness, and danger and harm. Our biggest hope is that you will one day understand who Christ is…namely the depth of your need for Him and of His love for you, and that you will believe in Him for forgiveness of your sins, and the hope and abundant life that is to be had through Him. We hope for you all the beauty and meaning and mystery that is found in Him.

Today, we celebrate you and we and humbly ask God for help in raising you. We know that we are finite and limited, and that despite our deep love for you, we will make many mistakes. We know you are not immune to sickness or harm, and that because of sin this world is often not only treacherous, but heartbreaking. We give thanks for the friends and family God has granted us who love you so much and who we know we can rely on for help, prayer, and wisdom. Most of all, we recognize God as your Heavenly Father. It is He who gave you life and He who sustains it. It is He who grants faith and He who can love, nurture, protect, and teach you better than we could ever begin to. We take great comfort knowing that He knit you together and calls you His masterpiece, and that it is He who will watch over you and guide your steps all the days of your life.

In the weeks leading up to your birth, we prayed specifically the verses of 1 Sam chapter 1. In this chapter, Hannah prays and waits for a long time that she would be granted a baby. When she finally has Samuel, she is overwhelmed with gratitude and dedicates his life to God. God has given you to us, and like Hannah, we dedicate you to Him. Simply as an act of acknowledging the truth: you are His daughter and we depend on Him for every day we have with you.

We love you, Saylor Grace! Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Mary Virginia said...

It takes everything in me not to cry when I read your sweet words to your baby girl! She IS such a gift! Happy birthday, sweet Saylor! We are so blessed to be a part of your life and to do life with you guys.

Keegan said...

Happy Birthday, Saylor!!! We all love you and hope to see you again soon!! xxxooo

ellie621 said...

Such a sweet letter!! I hope we get to see you guys sometime soon!! I feel like I already know Saylor. Happy 1st birthday, Saylor!